datestampMonday, May 17, 2010

Blessings of Breastfeeding Part 1

As a friend and I were walking our kids to school the other morning, she asked me what made me want to breastfeed in the first place. I didn't have a good answer. During my first pregnancy I immersed myself in What to Expect When You're Expecting and TLC's A Baby Story. Neither of which are on the La Leche League's must read/watch list, believe me. There is one specific memory of my Auntie nursing my baby cousin in the car, I was four years old and I love my Auntie and want to be like her in many ways, so I'd like to credit her with planting that seed. But I always knew, from the moment I first found out I was pregnant, my baby would be breastfed.

With Spanky I had a goal of one year. We made it to 7 months and I reluctantly took my OB's advise and stopped nursing in an effort to shake a serious case of PPD. Mistake. Wow, I've learned a lot since then. I don't have a goal for Max's nursing, he can nurse until he's ready to wean. Nursing is not just about nutrition to me, it's a part of parenting, bonding and teaching from day one. 

Breastfeeding isn't without challenges and there are many books and support groups available to help women through any issues they encounter. I've been feeling very blessed by my body's ability to nourish my babies and will share a few of those blessings this week.

I feel blessed that in a world of isles full of brightly colored bottles and packages, screaming out to consumers the benefits of formula, that I am educated in the truth and able to feed and parent my sons based on common sense, evidence based information and guidance from Heavenly Father. How many times do we have to hear it? Knowledge is power. The formula companies bombard new parents (often at their request) with information on how to feed their baby. Common sense says that's not the source you should probably get your education from. I am thankful that I can trust my body, which was made to grow and nourish babies, and in moments that might be a little trying I can ask for Heavenly Fathers help to be patient with myself and my son.

When Max was only a couple of hours old, his blood sugar was low. The nurse suggested 'we' supplement with formula--her 'we' meant her and me. I didn't have to say a word, my look stopped her in her tracks. I was educated and informed, and I trusted in my body's ability. I told her that 'we' (my nursling and I) just needed to nurse. So we did. And when they checked his sugars next...all was well. What a boost to my confidence as a mom and a woman!

Check back tomorrow for Part 2...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Knowledge is power! Thanks for sharing. I hope other women who read this are inspired to give their bodies a chance to do what it was created to do...

I calculated I have spent over 70 months of my life nursing a child - creating memories, reducing the risk of breast cancer, saving money, and just plain getting my turn to hold and snuggle our newest child! Breastfeed.

Reese said...

I LOVE this! Another woman's story is so powerful in helping others see what might be possible. It's just not modeled the way it used to be. Thank you for advertising Breastfeeding with your own personal experiences.

Post a Comment